Trina's Reviews > Dead Until Dark

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

Sep 23, 07

Read in September, 2007

Let me start off by saying I am not a prude. I may live in Utah. I may have only kissed one man in my life- but I have no problem with a little sex in a book. This went far beyond that. To the point that the story was no longer the story of clairvoyant girl meets vampire and they try to catch serial killer together. The story quickly became girl and vampire have sex together a lot. That bugged me. Rather than being interesting or even exciting- it was boring. Sex does not a plot make. The story went nowhere other than the bedroom for a good half of the book. I wish I had just quit and read something better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Until Dark.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Whit (new)

Whit I was just downloading this book from my local library to listen to and was looking for a review to see how "clean" the book was. Thank you for your candor and your review. I've stopped my download and will be getting something else today.

Krystal I honestly dont think you read the same book I did. As far as sex goes in the book, the author might as well just writen "sex". The romance scenes were awful and lacking in every sence of the word. I am completely stunned people dare compare this series to Anita Black series.

Melynna My sister recently told me she was reading this series but that I shouldn't bother because I wouldn't appreciate the content. Between you, her, and pretty bad reviews from a couple other people, I'm convinced.

Jaime I thought the sex in this book was pretty mild, not a lot of it and not very graphic at all.

Sherlock There really isn't a lot of sex in this book. I mean, mostly it's "'Bill said "Maybe I can get you in the mood??' *Wink wink* and he did" If that's graphic, you might want to stay away from anything modern.

Anne I agree with you. If half the sex, which was tame but intrusive, was taken out, it would have been a better book.

message 7: by Lori (new) - added it

Lori Pannell Don't watch the show on HBO then. Hate to see you blushing in front of the hubby!

Chelsea I agree with Jaime in that the sex in the book is extremely tame. It isn't graphic or raunchy and part of Sookie and Bill's relationship is the hot and intense sexual chemistry. I feel it was appropriate, especially to further the characters' relationship.

Melynna I'm with Trina on this one -- it wasn't that it was raunchy, it was that it was the only thing happening. Where was the plot? The characters seemed so flat and vapid. I gave up halfway through because I honestly did not care what happened. The murder plot was taking such a far backseat to their love life that sometimes I forgot the book had a point.

message 10: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz When you read the Southern Vampire Mysteries, I think it's important to remember that Harris was not trying to write the next Pulitzer. The plots are fast-paced, fun, and witty. There's crime, mystery, romance, horror, and sci-fi which I think is great for a light read as you get a bit of everything. I would describe the sex in the Fifty Shades series as "beyond" (and then some). I feel the sex in the Southern Vampire Mysteries is extremely tame based on modern standards, and Sookie's sexual interactions are fairly typical of the modern woman in today's society - typical with the exception that it's sex with a vampire. Unfortunately, if you think these books are to racy, raunchy, or suggestive you may want to reconsider what a prude is.