Jessica's Reviews > Silent to the Bone

Silent to the Bone by E.L. Konigsburg

Jul 23, 09

bookshelves: young-adult-and-kids
Read in July, 2009

Connor's precocious friend Branwell suddenly stopped talking the day Bran's baby sister was injured and the babysitter blamed it on him. While little Nikki is in the hospital in a coma, Bran is sent to a juvenile detention center, and Connor visits him every day to try to develop ways to communicate so that they can get to the bottom of the mystery of what really happened that day.

The book is well-written and engaging, and I bought everything except for the overarching premise that a 13-year-old would suddenly be unable to talk - not just choose not to talk, but be unable to talk - after an incident of the type that occurs in the story. It seems the reader really has to suspend disbelief to accept that point while reading the book, and I spent the whole time expecting some kind of payoff in the end to allow the premise to work. And while the story does come together quite nicely in the end, I really didn't feel that the explanation helped me understand what happened to Bran's ability to speak.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent to the Bone.