Mark Fullmer's Reviews > Opening Skinner's Box: Great Psychological Experiments Of The 20th Century

Opening Skinner's Box by Lauren Slater

M_50x66
Feb 20, 07

Recommended for: closet psychologists
Read in February, 2007

Lauren Slater writes up ten intellectually rubix-cubed koans of pyschological literature lore in what is a personal, dramatic, poetic, and thought-provoking style. Here's a taste (its true jewelry lost outside of the larger context, the last paragraph of a chapter):

How often have I, have you, heard a racial slur and said nothing in order to keep the peace? How often have I, have you, seen something wrong at work, maybe a mistreated colleague, and done nothing so your own job stays steady? The little hot spot travels inside us. Certain situations may make it glow brighter, and others dimmer, but the moral failing that lies at the heart of so many humans, well, there it lies, at the heart, which cannot, after it has failed one too many times, be shocked back into being. I feel my own heart, clippety clop, and I see my own hands, and I'd like to think, now that I've made such an intimate acquaintance with Mr. Milgram, with Joshua and Jacob and you, yes you, I'd like to think I'd do the dance a little differently when my number is called.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Opening Skinner's Box.