jo's Reviews > Echo Park

Echo Park by Michael Connelly

Jun 28, 12

bookshelves: mystery-thriller
Read in July, 2009

i want to say this book is okay, just okay -- good-ish story, good-ish characters, good-ish plot turns, good pace. bosch is a nice protagonist because he's haunted by demons and it's nice when your detectives are haunted by demons. it makes them look like the criminals they are pursuing, which is after all the whole premise of the genre.

(i hope i fed the right dog.)

it is not a book that deserves four stars because it's too improbable. that's a flaw in a mystery and it bothers me. so many mysteries are like that and that's maybe one of the reasons why i don't read mysteries. the main reasons why i don't read mysteries, though, is that you don't get enough of the characters' own psychology, and, generally speaking, there's no growth, no evolution, no learning curve in them. this is not what mysteries are about. they are about evil and perversion and the two faces of criminality.

but this book kept me out of the deep waters and close to the shore for a good four days and this alone makes it very dear to me. thank you, michael connelly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Echo Park.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rick Wolnitzek I agree. However the improbability is a bigger problem for me. The last 75 pages skip over all the detail of what is going on that we were presented with in the first three quarters of the book. It feels like the music started playing at the Oscars.

message 2: by jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

jo thanks for bringing me back to this. i'm going to dock that star after all. :)

message 3: by L (new)

L Keeping one out of deep waters is often exactly what we need. I don't seem to have rated it and I know I've read this book. Hmmm. Might have to do it again, even if it is only a 3-star book.

message 4: by jo (new) - rated it 3 stars

jo may be more than three stars for you!