Don's Reviews > Songs of Willow Frost

Songs of Willow Frost by Jamie Ford

3119675
Jun 28, 13

Read from June 19 to 28, 2013

If you liked Jamie Ford's "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet," you will love "Songs of Willow Frost." It isn't often that I say I couldn't put a book down, but this is one of those times.

Set against the backdrop of Depression-era Seattle, twelve-year-old William, a Chinese American boy, has lived in Seattle’s Sacred Heart Orphanage for the last five years. On the day the nuns designate as his birthday - William and the other orphans are taken to the movies where William finds Willow Frost, an actress in the movie, and becomes convinced she is his mother.

William and Willow's story plays out in wonderful period detail, both locale and ethnic, alternating between the early 1920's and mid 1930's in wonderfully written prose. Inventive and visually strong character development pulls the reader into a at times harrowing, complicated and emotional read. Besides William and Willow, I was enamored of the character Charlotte...Mr. Ford - excellent job. Sister Briganti, redeemed with a nod that may be missed by many readers.

I read this as an advanced reader copy, it won't be out until September 2013. Be sure to put this one on your list of must reads. Lesa, if you read this - you know I will be badgering you to get Jamie Ford to come to Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library..."One Book One Community" author? This book would be an excellent choice!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs of Willow Frost.

06/19/2013 marked as: currently-reading
06/28/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesa (new)

Lesa Just started the book, Don. Loved a YouTube video with Jamie Ford. Without even reading the book, he would be an excellent choice.