Shawna's Reviews > Shoot to Thrill

Shoot to Thrill by Nina Bruhns

Aug 05, 09

bookshelves: romantic-suspense, cop-bodyguard-govop-merc-military, im-a-cover-hottie-ho, author-nina-bruhns-nikita-black, favorite-romance-series, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-alpha‎, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, i-read-own-faves-keepers, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, military-romance, 2009-reads, favorites, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, bdsm-kink, series-passion-for-danger, yowza-hotness, captive-kidnapped-hostage-slave, tattoos-piercings-body-art, best-top-favorites, hero-antihero-gamma, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, exotic-wild-settings-survivor-lovin, satisfying-secondary-romance, hh-limp-paraplegic-wheelchair, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, doctor-or-nurse-in-the-house-shrink, action-adventure-treasure-hunting, assassin-hitman, hh-addiction-recovery-sobriety, 5-stars, hh-post-traumatic-stress-disorder, hh-physical-mental-disability-ill, steam-4-smokin, hero-military-war-veteran, hh-on-the-run-in-hiding
Recommended for: Fans of steamy military romantic suspense; Suzanne Brockmann, Catherine Mann, & Marliss Melton fans
Read in July, 2009

5 stars – Romantic Suspense

There’s a whole lot more to this than just the hot stud with a gun, yummy window dressing. I love romantic suspense that feature sexy, angst-ridden alpha military heroes, and Nina Bruhns sure delivers a steamy, exciting, fast paced, action-packed thrill-ride with this first book in her new Passion for Danger series. It’s got everything I love in a great military romantic suspense: a sexy, bad-ass hero, a spitfire heroine, uber nasty villains, a clever, intriguing plot, thrilling locations, gripping edge-of-your-seat action, and plenty of steamy romance and hot sex. The author’s style is similar to Suzanne Brockmann, Marliss Melton, and Catherine Mann, but I dare to say that I enjoyed this even more than Melton’s Seal Team 12 series and Mann’s Dark Ops series. It’s that good (at least in my humble opinion).

Ex-marine Kyle “Kick” Jackson signed his life over to an elite, undercover “NOC” (non-official cover) CIA black-ops unit, but he’s been trying dodge his superiors ever since a mission gone bad that killed his entire squad and left him with multiple scars and a battered leg. His former commander sends a team to kidnap Kick to force him to do one more (last) job because it seems that he’s the only person who can identify a reclusive, dangerous terrorist hiding and plotting in the Sudan. Even though it’s essentially a suicide mission, Kick sees it as his long awaited chance for vengeance against the terrorists responsible for the loss of his entire team, including his best friend.

New York ER nurse Lorraine “Rainie” Martin got more than she bargained for when she attended a medical speed dating function and ended up being kidnapped by a sexy, dangerous, wounded hero. She can’t abandon a patient/soldier in need; and when the operation goes wrong, Kick and Rainie find themselves thrust into the treacherous Sahara together, surrounded by enemies, and have to rely on each other for survival and to complete the mission at all costs.

Shoot to Thrill has the perfect mix of action, adventure, intrigue, suspense, and smokin’ hot romance, which is exactly the way I like it! There’s a nice HEA, but it also left some ends untied; so you can be sure that I’ll be picking up book two, If Looks Could Chill just as soon as it comes out in December’09! Big 5 stars!
28 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shoot to Thrill.

08/01/2009 page 1
0.3% "Yummy...I hope I can distract myself from the stud on the cover long enough to actually read this!" 2 comments
08/01/2009 page 256
78.05% "There's a lot more to this than just a sexy cover. It's a fantastic military romantic suspense and hard to put down."
08/01/2009 page 352
100% "Great...another military themed romantic suspense series that I'm now completely hooked on! Review coming soon."

Shawna The cover is hot, HOT, H-O-T!!!!

♡Karlyn P♡ Shawna - Heck yes!! Totally HOT! And I just bought it based on the cover alone! I never read this author or a review of the books by her, but how bad could it be with a cover like that??!!!! :-) I think its the same guy from your Avatar. Kind of looks like him but with a gun strap instead of a red tie.

message 3: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Funny! Haven't you guys ever heard the old saying "Never judge a book by its cover"? (I'm SO guilty of that one!)

message 4: by Shawna (last edited Jul 29, 2009 04:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna KarLynP wrote: "And I just bought it based on the cover alone! I never read this author or a review of the books by her, but how bad could it be with a cover like that??!! I think its the same guy from your Avatar. Kind of looks like him but with a gun strap instead of a red tie."

LOL! I know right?! I'm totally buying this one for the cover...ain't no shame! LOL...It could be the same guy...I think I like the gun better though!

I'm just jealous that you got it already because I didn't think it came out until the 4th. Where did you find it?

Shawna Tammy wrote: "Funny! Haven't you guys ever heard the old saying "Never judge a book by its cover"? (I'm SO guilty of that one!)"

Hahaha! What about "a cover's worth a thousand words", does that work here?!

message 6: by Tammy (new)

Tammy I'm pretty sure it's a picture that's worth a thousand words, but hey! Works for me! It's the reason why I keep some of my old wallbanger erotica books around. =)

Shawna Tammy wrote: "I'm pretty sure it's a picture that's worth a thousand words, but hey! Works for me! It's the reason why I keep some of my old wallbanger erotica books around. =)"

LOL! Hey, it was worth a shot! Yeah, I kept "Hard and Fast" propped up on our home office computer desk for a month after I finished it until my husband's b*tchin got too tiresome! lol!

message 8: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Jul 29, 2009 04:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ I think the saying should be 'never buy a book based on just the cover', but sometimes it really does work! And he does look sooooooooooo HOT. I found it at Borders yesterday with all the other new release books. I thought what the heck and bought it on impulse! I guess it is out early, so you may want to try. I just skimmed the first few pages and it looks good. Plus the quotes about her books implies she writes with a great balance of humor and heat, which works for me. I have a few books I want to read first, but I will get to this one within the week I imagine. Meanwhile I'll just prop it up on my dresser so I can look at this hottie!!

message 9: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Same here! I actually found my copy last night - face down under my office desk.

Shawna KarLynP wrote: "I think the saying should be 'never buy a book based on just the cover', but sometimes it really does work! And he does look sooooooooooo HOT. I found it at Borders yesterday with all the other new..."

Borders here I come!

message 11: by Tammy (new)

Tammy KarLynP wrote: "I think the saying should be 'never buy a book based on just the cover', but sometimes it really does work! And he does look sooooooooooo HOT. I found it at Borders yesterday with all the other new..."

Humor and heat are good. I'm looking forward to reading both of your reviews! Hopefully there's lots of good dialogue. I'm tired of buying books that are full of narration and bad dialogue.

message 12: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Jul 29, 2009 05:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ Tammy - the first several pages (which is all I've read thus far) are primarily dialog, so the author does just jump right into the story. I totally agree with you on that point, I don't like books that spend more time setting up the story than actually telling the story! I way prefer good dialog.And boy, the guy does swear a lot too! The only issue I see is the hero is named Kick. I just hope there is a good story to go with that name as no way does someone really name their kid that, right?

message 13: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Kick?! How odd! It's gotta be a nickname or short for something, right? Now I'm definitely interested ...

message 14: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Tammy wrote: "Kick?! How odd! It's gotta be a nickname or short for something, right? Now I'm definitely interested ..."

Maybe Kickstand?:)

♡Karlyn P♡ Auntee - OMG, too funny! (And if that turns out the be the reason he has such a name, my eyes will permanantly stick to the back of my head!)

message 16: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Hilarious! I like the way your mind works Auntee. =)

message 17: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee LOL, my mind must be in the gutter...actually, it's probably short for "kick your a**"!:)

Shawna LOL! Ya'll are toooo funny!!!!!

message 19: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Turns out his name is really "Kyle". Kick is a nickmame, but haven't found out the origin...

♡Karlyn P♡ I can't wait to read your review Shawna! I just started it (on page 40), but have so little time to really sit down and sink myself into it. Boy, did it start off with a bang!

Shawna KarLynP wrote: "I can't wait to read your review Shawna! I just started it (on page 40), but have so little time to really sit down and sink myself into it. Boy, did it start off with a bang! "

I loved it, but I'm behind on writing reviews. I was sick this past weekend and read a lot and didn't feel like writing.

Okay, I finally put something together. I can't wait until "If Looks Could Chill" comes out in December!

message 23: by Daisiemae (new)

Daisiemae Great Review, Shawna:)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! I'll have to put this one on my cover slut shelf.

message 25: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Great review as usual, Shawna! One more book to my WishList/TBR... *sighs*

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I love your reviews Shawna! So persuasive.

Dina wrote: "Great review as usual, Shawna! One more book to my WishList/TBR... *sighs*"

LOL I feel your pain DIna. I'm never going to get from under my TBR.

message 27: by southpaw285 (new)

southpaw285 Great review, Shawna.

message 28: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Just great, Shawna--sounds like a winner!
I'm going to have to clone myself though, because August has just too many "must reads" for me! I hope I can get to this one soon.

Hope you're feeling better too.:)

message 29: by Rane (new)

Rane awesome review Shawna!
Ex-marine Kyle “Kick” Jackson what a nickname! :D

Shawna Thanks ladies! It's a hot one!

Eyre, I just love your 'cover slut shelf'...cracks me up...we're both suckers for cover studs!

Dina/Audball/Auntee, my TBR mtn is flat out of control...she's gonna blow! There's just been too many good releases for July and August and upcoming for Sept. I can't keep up!

Rane, the "Kick" nickname is pretty darn ironic too considering his bum leg!

Shawna Auntee wrote: "Hope you're feeling better too.:)"

Thanks, btw. Yeah, it's been kind of a crappy week. I was sick last weekend and then had a minor car accident yesterday, but compared to the Pittsburgh gym shooting and the reporters held in N. Korea for 140 days; my bad week is very small potatoes. Real tragedies like that help put things in perspective and make me so grateful for all that I have! I was really glad to hear that you and Melissa were both okay up there in PA.

message 32: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina Shawna wrote: "Yeah, it's been kind of a crappy week. I was sick last weekend and then had a minor car accident yesterday, but compared to the Pitts..."

Think of the bright side, Shawna: you discovered the amazing Psy-Changeling series last weekend. ;)

Shawna Dina wrote: "Think of the bright side, Shawna: you discovered the amazing Psy-Changeling series last weekend."

This is true, this is true! And now I'm totally hooked on it!

message 34: by Julie (jjmachshev) (last edited Aug 06, 2009 07:01PM) (new) - added it

Julie (jjmachshev) I've got about 200+ books in my TBRs...but I just keep adding and here's another for the piles! Tks Shawna

Marion Great review. Have to dig it out of my TBR stack.

Julie Shawna, I just got notification that this book came in for me. I am excited to finally read it. I will soon let you know my thoughts. :)

Shawna I hope you enjoy it, Julie! This is one of my favorite romantic suspense series of 2009/2010.

Leslie Had no idea what to read next. Thought I'd check some reviews to help me out. Just read your recommendations for the book. Everyone of those authors is a fav of mine and I love military romance. So this made the choice easy.

Shawna I loved this series. I hope you enjoy it, Leslie!

Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover ❤️ & KA Addict fantastic review Shawna!! Currently reading and loving it and I'm only 20% into it!!!

Shawna Thanks, Dorsey! Glad you're enjoying it!