Meg J.'s Reviews > The Awakening

202983
Sep 19, 07

bookshelves: date_unknown, school
Read in January, 1999

I read this in 12th grade. I was so impressed by the emotions and the changes Edna went through. I might not feel the same if I read it again today, but back then, when I was trying to find myself, I could relate to a character who just wanted to be herself.

"The very first chords which Mademoiselle Reisz struck upon the piano sent a keen tremor down Mrs. Pontellier's spinal column. It was not the first time she had heard an artist at the piano. Perhaps it was the first time she was ready, perhaps the first time her being was tempered to take an impress of the abiding truth. She waited for the material pictures which she thought would gather and blaze before her imagination. She waited in vain. She was no pictures of solitude, of hope, of longing, or of despair. But the very passions themselves were aroused within her soul, swaying it, lashing it, as the waves daily beat upon her splendid body. She trembled, she was choking, and the tears blinded her." (p.34)

"There were days when she was very happy without knowing why. She was happy to be alive and breathing, when her whole being seemed to be one with the sunlight, the color, the odors, the luxuriant warmth of some perfect Southern day. She liked then to wander alone into strange and unfamiliar places. She discovered many a sunny, sleepy corner fashioned to dream in. And she found it good to dream and to be alone and unmolested." (p.76)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.