Julie Davis's Reviews > Caravans

Caravans by James A. Michener

Jun 24, 13

Read from June 19 to 23, 2013

I read one Michener book, The Source, long ago ... in fact, long before I became Christian ... just as a compelling way to travel through the history and people of a region. I still recall much of it vividly.

Michener was brought to my attention recently when I was looking through Kindle samples and reviews of more recent versions of geographical/gigantic historical fiction. As I discarded author after author, I found myself captivated by the couple of Michener samples I'd downloaded (specifically Caravans and The Source). And I realized I'd forgotten his shorter fiction such as Sayonara and The Bridges at Toko-Ri.

Like an H.V. Morton travel guide, but with a fictional veneer, Michener takes the reader through all the faces of 1946 Afghanistan from city life to nomad caravans, while simultaneously pondering civilization, faith, and man's essential nature. Written in 1966, this book also contains pondering from those who adhere to traditional thinking versus those who feel that progress means breaking away from civilization. Altogether a fascinating combination.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caravans.

06/22/2013 page 175

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jenny (Reading Envy) You know, I've never read Michener but I've read a few Edward Rutherfurd books, Sarum: The Novel of England was my favorite.

Julie Davis Jenny wrote: "You know, I've never read Michener but I've read a few Edward Rutherfurd books, Sarum: The Novel of England was my favorite."

I tried Sarum but really hated his writing style. Don't remember precisely what at the moment, but I do recall that was why I put it down very early.