Kathryn's Reviews > The Road

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Jul 22, 09

bookshelves: modern-marvels
Read in July, 2009

The road was a horrific, spellbinding, and poetic commentary about the fall of man. I would recommend this to anyone to read at least once. And that being said, I won't go into too much detail about what is actually detailed inside this posthumous apocalyptic realm--but it is graphic just to let you know. Not only the mesmerizing language but the scenery--even the horrific ones--give me goosebumps and make me really consider. This book isn't the plot of a select main character. It is of many--all who have lost and won in my opinion. The narrator doesn't even disclose the names of the father and his son.
Despite the alarming circumstances that the boy and his father witness, it connects with the spiritual. The boy represents "the fire" or the faith of the fallen in death. And the father represents man itself--the one that keeps trying to be good for the fire, for his son. He personifies the human world that survives today, the boy is the light that makes us want to be civil and the others--the cannibals are the animal of man that will eventually destroy itself. It delves deep into the question of the animal tendencies of all nature "in the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery." Which placed profound respect to the life of man--"the fire." Tolstoy put it best when he said that "mutual love is the fundamental law of human life"--that is why the boy survives and humanity survives.
It questions humanity through poetic verse and metaphors. This novel is a masterpiece through and through because it is one of those that will stick with me. Even though I am finished with it I still think about it--not about the characters and the scenery especially but about real life and how it has affected my view.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road.