Lee's Reviews > The Haunting of Hill House

Jul 22, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: classics, horror, 2009-reads
Read in October, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Haunting of Hill House.

Gabriele Wills Is it still as scary as I remember? : )

message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee I'm so scared I can't write a review LOL! Pretty creepy stuff and I don't have the stomach for it anymore.

Gabriele Wills I hate to tell you, but it haunted me for decades!

message 4: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee I don't know why I tried to be brave and get in on all the Halloween reading. I should just stick to what I know won't freak me out!

Gabriele Wills You have to admit she's a good writer, though.

message 6: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee Absolutely, that's why I gave it four stars. I think she did an excellent job of creating a creepy atmosphere right from the get go.

Gabriele Wills The first movie adaption made in - I think - black and white in the 60s is really scary, too. But one made later - the 90s? - is really dumb. Don't watch the first one!

message 8: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee Eeeek! Gabriele, I don't think I could watch either one. I'd never get the images out of my head then.

Gabriele Wills Precisely! I saw the b & w one before I read the book, when I was about 13 and was traumatized for years! So why did I read the book... Hmm, I'd read some or Jackson's other work and was curious if the book was as scary as the movie. More so!

message 10: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee I had a similar experience seeing The Exorcist movie when I was 13. It affects me to this day. I shudder just thinking about it.

Is all of Jackson's work in a similar vein?

Gabriele Wills I read another book - can't recall the title now, but obviously it didn't make as great an impression upon me - and her famous short story, "The Lottery", which I read in high school and used when I taught English for a very few years.

I refused to see The Exorcist since I knew that I would react badly after hearing reviews!

message 12: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee I think that was a very wise decision.