Madeline's Reviews > The Horse and His Boy

111921
Jul 22, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, kids-and-young-adult
Read in July, 2009

I first found this book in the library at my school when I was twelve or so, and started reading it - however, I put the book back after about six chapters because I was bored. Remembering this, it was with some trepidation that I picked up The Horse and His Boy for a second try.

Okay, it's not that bad. Yes, the whole story has an unpleasantly racist aftertaste (Lewis doesn't go quite so far as to call the Calormens filthy dark Muslims, but the implication is clear), but it was a nice story. I liked the characters, mostly because they actually had flaws and were a nice break from the aren't-we-perfect Pevensie kids. Naturally they make an appearance later on, but they stay mostly on the sidelines.

I really didn't think this one was going to have Aslan in it, though. In fact, I almost wish he hadn't been part of the story; it seemed like Lewis was working really hard to put his characters into situations where divine help was actually needed. It seemed to me like everyone in the story probably could have managed by themselves.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Horse and His Boy.