Dan's Reviews > Content: Selected Essays on Technology, Creativity, Copyright, and the Future of the Future

Content by Cory Doctorow

Mar 05, 10

Read in October, 2009

First off, all these articles are available online free or have circulated there for years. I just liked having them all organized and brought together in a tidy, non-electronic, highly-readable package.

Doctorow is extremely prolific in his side career of EFF spokesperson and advocate for open Intellectual Property rights as he is primarily occupied by writing a culturally savvy type of sci-fi. These installments represent what is likely a majority of his valuable published writings on these subjects, allowing us a view of the scope of his knowledge and interests. Almost every piece is thoughtful, without being overly technical or pensive, and recommend themselves as useful for the Internet-freedom activist (and in fact anyone else who is concerned about how IP rights are constantly being shaped by the powerful tentacles of monied multinational interests).

All together a very entertaining farrago of insightful, sometimes personal, generally incisive articles on a far reaching array of perspectives and recommendations on the highly-contested digital rights landscape.

While I recommend it to novices as well as to the battle-scarred veterans of Freeware, Copyleft, and Anti-DRM fights, my one qualm is that he isn't quite tough enough on the industry shills, the corporate hacks, the capitalist running dogs, the venal ministers and diplomats, and the repulsive financiers. Perhaps because he wishes to remain mainstream, since taking a critical line on such matters tends to open one to attacks on one's practicality.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Content.