This is Me Equivocally's Reviews > The Cat Who'll Live Forever: The Final Adventures of Norton, the Perfect Cat, and His Imperfect Human

The Cat Who'll Live Forever by Peter Gethers

Sep 19, 07

Read in September, 2007

Being a cat person, I was instantly drawn to this book when I randomly stumbled upon it at the library. During the first half of the story, I was wondering why I had bothered to start reading it. By the second half, I knew why. It is a very touching story about the life and loss of a best friend, who just happens to be a cat. I don't think I have cried more while reading a book.

The first half seemed more like a travel memoir. The author went into more detail about the places he went and the food he ate than about his relationship with Norton, his furry friend. I also disliked how Gethers would constantly drop names of the famous people he met or worked with. Maybe this made the story more interesting to some people, but I found it distracting and superfluous.

Some aspects of the relationship between Norton and Gethers were so similar to the bond between my first cat and myself, that it was difficult to see the pages through tears at some points in the story. This book made me remember things about my cat that had become clouded in my memory over the years.

Any cat lover should read this and the rest of the Norton trilogy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cat Who'll Live Forever.