Jennifer Chase's Reviews > Hitting Back

Hitting Back by John  Walker

2058124
Sep 16, 09

Read in August, 2009

This is the third book in John Walker’s “Dark Retribution” quartet. When I first began reading this book, I didn’t think I was going to like it because the main character, Lenny Durning, is a despicable, lying, cheating, self-serving, thief of a man. Why read a book if you can’t struggle with or like the main character? The simple answer… because you need to find out what happens to this character. Will he actually get what he deserves?

The story revolves around Lenny’s hatred and obsession to pay back eleven people for the wrong things that they have done to him. After being left for dead, Lenny is rescued by Theo, a bookstore owner, and spends the next three years planning, waiting, and seething about the day he’ll hit those people back. It’s the ultimate payback.

Even though the main character is clearly unlikable and flawed in every sense of the word, I found that he had intelligence and insight but still chose to do the most horrible of wrong things. This is an interesting concept into criminal behavior and it helped to move the story forward by building a steady stream of suspense. Theo, his only friend, brings the balance and goodness to this relationship and keeps the reader guessing as to how it will all turn out.

John Walker has managed to hit back with this excellent revenge thriller that will definitely keep you reading until you get to the exciting conclusion. I didn’t see this ending coming. Hitting Back promises to be a satisfying read that leads the reader on an emotional rollercoaster.

I definitely can’t stop with this series now. I look forward to the fourth and final book in the quartet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hitting Back.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hope (new) - added it

Hope Corizzo Is the whole series his revenge, starting with the first in the series? Or can this book be read outside the series?

Jennifer Chase Hi Hope,

Hitting Back is about Lenny's character, but the series really needs to read from book 1 Wrath & Remembrance because there are references from that you might not understand, and then everything ties together nicely. That's what makes it such a good read.

Alta And all three books are tied together in book four.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael What an excellent review. You should be syndicated.
Mike