Keri's Reviews > Straight Talking

Straight Talking by Jane Green

Sep 29, 07

bookshelves: books_i_stopped_reading, chicklit
Read in December, 2007

I'm about to give up on this book. I have tried to give Jane Green more chances than I can remember giving any other author. I loved Bookends, thought Jemima J was just ok and a little weird, and I could have gone either way on Mr. Maybe. Now comes Straight Talking.

The back cover description does NOT give a good overview of what to expect with the book. It's not really about her friends. It's mostly just the main character and her utter inability to choose the right guy. She sleeps around with a bunch of jerks who don't care about her and mistakes that for "passion" and "romance." How old is this woman?

Anyway, unlike how the back cover makes it out to be, the friends are just circling in her life and aren't all that relevant to the story. I also found the back and forth in time to be a little confusing and unnecessary. I haven't finished it yet but I'm about it give up on it (even though I only read it at the gym while I'm on the elliptical).

My breaking point came yesterday when I noticed a grammatical error in the book. Green meant to use the word "now" but used "know" instead. Come on! I know this is chick lit but let's have some standards here. I think this might have to be my last Jane Green book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Straight Talking.