Brent's Reviews > Revelation Space

Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds

Jul 21, 09

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read in July, 2009

Oddly I began reading Alastair Reynolds via one of his standalone books, Pushing Ice, and followed that with another standalone, Century Rain. Two very different books but I quite liked them both and resolved to read more Reynolds. For whatever reason I hadn't gotten around to starting his most well known books, the Revelation Space series. Finally a birthday coupon from Borders got me into a bookstore and I resolved to get some good old science fiction. Of course the store had science fiction and fantasy shelved together, so that I had to sort through a lot of D&D tie-in books (not that there is anything wrong with that) for the meager SF offerings. Glad to see they had Revelation Space though!

Reynolds is definitely a "big ideas" author and he keeps the science in his fiction generally plausible so I guess this would be "hard" SF. The universe seems well thought out and very lived in, and I enjoyed the book's take on interstellar travel, posthumanism, and the future look of human society. I found the plot itself fairly gripping, but many times the big ideas themselves were enough to keep me turning the pages. I give this book, and the other two Reynolds offerings I mentioned, a hearty thumbs up and I am planning to delve further into the Revelation Space series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Revelation Space.