Kristi Brown's Reviews > Hungry Monkey: A Food-Loving Father's Quest to Raise an Adventurous Eater

Hungry Monkey by Matthew Amster-Burton

Jul 31, 09

Read in July, 2009

I recently picked up a copy of a new food memoir titled "Hungry Monkey" by Matthew Amster-Burton...because you got me...I loved the kitchy title, its cover and because it was about food. Oh, and the author is from my home - Seattle. What is there not to like about this book? Well, nothing! After a busy Saturday morning with my a$$ firmly planted on my upper deck I devoured this food memoir, enjoying every bite of it!

Yes, I did take some reading breaks! The first break was to try almond milk - steamed milk + almond syrup + lots of foam milk on top! Only my version had three shots of Nespresso espresso. I bring the caffeine, I bring it strong! Head back to the upper deck for more reading! And I got about half way into "Hungry Monkey" realizing my next break needs to be page markers. So I go inside and gather my Eiffel Tower Post-It note collection! I am flagging pages left and right of stories that make me LOL and recipes that I must, must try. Like stew. I have never in my life made a stew...that will change in Fall because I will be making some type of stew that will include bacon, and the good smoked bacon Matthew raves about in his book - Neuske's bacon. Oh, and Trader Joe's Greek style yogurt with fig puree. OMG! How have I missed this product on my bi-weekly TJ's visits? Tj + Figs is a kismet combination that I simply must try. And farmer's markets.

Farmer's markets was break number three. I turned on my laptop and searched for when/where my local West Seattle Farmer's Market is to discover it was the next day! So Sunday morning I woke up extra early, got lots of cash, and headed to the WS farmer's market. And blew through my $40 in less than 4 minutes too! Here's what I got: A flat of blueberries and raspberries, olive bread, white goat cheese with chives, blueberry butter, 2 delicious gluten free pastries (a biblical experience) (yum) (very yum), and flowers.

And to quote Arnold Schwarzenegger...I'll be back!!! Farmer's Markets ROCK!

Check out Matthew Amster-Burton's blog: http://www.rootsandgrubs.com
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hungry Monkey.