Mehrsa's Reviews > The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference

The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

Jul 21, 09

Read in July, 2009

As with other Gladwell books (Blink and Outliers), the stories are engaging and the perspective is always fresh and insightful. However, the connection between the various anecdotes and the thesis is often flimsy. I think Tipping Point is the worst offender of the three books. I think he extrapolates too much from too little data and experimentation. But the book would deserve 5 stars if he could tone down his assertions a bit.

Gladwell is inexplicably cool and I go straight to his articles whenever they are in the New Yorker. I really appreciate how he can take assumptions and turn them on their head and cast new light on history that seems settled. That's why I keep reading his books, but I am often frustrated by his disregard for journalistic etiquette. I am not even sure that's the right way to put it, but I think the book is a little bit incoherent and repetitive and the points he is trying to make are not fully supported by his anecdotes.

However, I continue to be a loyal fan and will read any book he publishes and every article he writes for the New Yorker.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tipping Point.