Jessica's Reviews > Epileptic

Epileptic by David B.

Jul 29, 09

Recommended to Jessica by: Lindsey
Read in July, 2009

I don't know if I can say that I read this book, because I flipped through and skimmed it on my first pass, skipping over anecdotes that started to get drawn out, and then paged through different stories at other times. I think that through all of that, I managed to read all of the content, I hope. But as the book's storytelling is rather schizophrenic, I think that my reading of it reflects that style.

Epileptic, like The Complete Persepolis, is an autobiographical undertaking of David B.'s life growing up with an epileptic brother. And, like Art Spiegelman in Maus A Survivor's Tale, B. writes his own creative process into the book, with flashbacks, flash forwards, and dream sequences that break the graphic novel into bits, just as epilepsy did to his brother's life. It's a very ambitious novel with an interesting premise: David's brother, Jean-Christophe, and his descent from normal boy to handicapped to scarred to psychotic, deemed unfit for society. Yet, there is not climax, no falling action, to this story. I didn't love it, and while I was engaged in the IDEA of the book, I wasn't engaged in the book itself.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Epileptic.