Michael's Reviews > The Poet

The Poet by Michael Connelly

M_50x66
Jul 21, 09

Read in July, 2009

My love affair with Michael Connelly ends.

The plot leaves so many threads unresolved that it feels like Connelly just cheated. I usually don't notice things like this, so it must be pretty egregious.

Whatever speaks to me about Harry Bosch, Jack McEvoy ain't got it. I think the Bosch books work better because the mysteries are so intertwined with Bosch's experiences. There's an attempt to set up the same situation here with McEvoy's sister, but it fell flat for me.

Finally, the book is about a pedophile, which is an automatic one-star deduction.

On an unrelated note, it's fun to read books written between 1993 and 2000. Before '93, authors could pretty much ignore cell phones and the internet. After '00 you have to assume that Google exists. In between is a netherworld. This book breathlessly describes digital cameras and email like the reader might not know what they are. To find out of a phrase exists in a Poe poem, McEvoy has to stay up all night reading Poe! Crazy stuff.

I wonder if disliking this book will affect my reading of the next Bosch book. We shall see!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Becky Hennessy Bravo -- agree with your review!

Michael If this was your first Connelly book, I definitely recommend going with the Bosch series from the start! Much better than this weak, weak effort.

Becky Hennessy Michael: Hi -- yes, I've heard that. As such, earlier today I downloaded The Black Box to my iPad.

Connelly's a solid writer, but I do resent a lazy effort. I've felt that about John Grisham's later books and won't read him anymore as a result.

Thanks again for the good review. I'm newly back to Goodreads and hope to contribute more reviews than I have been!