Shawna's Reviews > Sarah's Child

Sarah's Child by Linda Howard

Jan 12, 15

bookshelves: author-linda-howard, contemporary-romance, hh-widow-or-widower, unrequited-love-crush, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, 2011-reads, 3-stars, controversial-memorable-event-scene, ending-abrupt-poor-epilogue-needed, heartbreaking-gutwrenching-romance, harlequin-blaze-silhouette-romance, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-alpha‎, hero-asshat-award-hall-of-shame, hero-brooding, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-daddy-warbucks-wealthy, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, hero-i-wanna-smack, hero-not-enough-groveling, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, hero-undeserving-of-heroine, hero-walking-hardon, heroine-i-wanna-bitch-slap-annoying, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, hh-bad-communication-conflict-mgmt, hh-big-constant-misunderstandings, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, i-read-no-longer-own-sold-swapped, married-couples-married-convenience, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, steam-3-hot, steam-2-warm, quick-read-romance, heroine-doormat-spineless-weak, hero-entrepreneur-mogul-tycoon-ceo, hero-sharp-dressed-man, heroine-i-hated-nearly-ruined-book, hero-i-despised, hero-i-disliked-much-of-the-book, heroine-self-esteem-issues, heroine-shy, hero-just-get-over-yourself, hero-wtf-does-heroine-see-in-him, hh-grieving-past-love-relationship
Recommended for: Fans of overly angsty romance
Read on October 30, 2011

3 stars – Contemporary Romance

I knew going into this that readers tend to have a love or hate reaction to this book and that many consider Rome to be a jackass. I didn’t really love or hate it, and yes, Rome definitely acted like a Grade A asshat for most of the book. What especially turned me off about his character was that he admitted (view spoiler)

But what annoyed me most about this book was how much of a spineless doormat Sarah was. I understand that he’s grief-stricken, but damn her internalizing everything and being satisfied with scraps was irritating. (view spoiler) I just found her self-sacrificing behavior annoying rather than admirable.

Yes, there was an HEA, but it just wasn’t all that sweet for me when it finally came. 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Child.

message 1: by UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick (last edited Oct 31, 2011 04:15PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Regarding the spoiler, I HATE it when a characters personality doesn't jive with the actions. To me, it's poor writing. A way for an author to take short cuts to get to the end of their story.

message 2: by Shawna (last edited Nov 01, 2011 05:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shawna Me too, Dhes. Linda Howard is an amazing author, but this definitely isn't a favorite for me. I didn't have a polarized, love or hate, reaction like some readers, but rather just found it okay/meh/average.

Sarah seems to be adored by many, but her utter selflessness felt really wimpy to me.

message 3: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Oh yes I have issues with Rome.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I've only read Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard, so I'm not too familiar with her writing.

message 5: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Oh I love love love LH - some of her books that is.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Which are the best, Melissa?

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Nevermind, I think we had this discussion. Let me go see what I have of hers.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Here's what I have:

Howard, Linda – Cry No More (HC), Mr. Perfect, MacKenzie’s Legacy, Mackenizes Magic, Duncan’s Bride (Duncan and Evageline #1), Open Season

message 9: by Shawna (last edited Nov 01, 2011 06:35PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shawna I highly recommend "Cry No More", Dhes. It's an amazing, poignant romantic suspense with a strong heroine and dangerous, to die for hero. Be sure to have some tissues handy 'cause it's an emotional-wrangler that's truly unforgettable. It's one of my all-time fave RS reads.

Ally72 Shawna...I think I will be staying away from this one...As much as I love LH's classic books.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thanks, Shawna! I know I have to be in the right frame of mind to read it, so I've been putting it off.

Ally72 Shawna wrote: "I highly recommend "Cry No More", Dhes. It's an amazing, poignant romantic suspense with a strong heroine and dangerous, to die for hero. Be sure to have some tissues handy 'cause it's an emotional..."

Shawna...Will the ending make me sad? I have been waiting to read it because I don't want to feel bad after reading it.

message 13: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Cry No More is too sad for me - but it's a good book

My favs are: Mackenzie's Mountain, Dream Man, Midnight Rainbow, Diamond Bay, White Lies, Open Season, Mr. Perfect, Kill and Tell, After the Night, Heart of Fire

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick You know, I think I have Dream Man and After the Night. 2 books in 1, maybe? I'll have to check.

message 15: by MelissaB (last edited Nov 01, 2011 06:44PM) (new)

MelissaB Ally wrote: "Shawna wrote: "I highly recommend "Cry No More", Dhes. It's an amazing, poignant romantic suspense with a strong heroine and dangerous, to die for hero. Be sure to have some tissues handy 'cause it..."

Ally72 Hi Ladies...I just realized that I have totally "pushed in" on this conversation...I'm sorry.

I loved After the Night and Shades Of Twilight, Dhes!

What does everyone think about Son of the Morning?

message 17: by Shawna (last edited Nov 01, 2011 06:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shawna Ally, Don't let my review deter you from reading this if it interests you 'cause you might love it...lots of readers do.

"Cry No More" is very sad and the ending had me bawling my eyes out. But it's a fantastic book. I understand needing to be in the right mindset/mood for it, though.

"Dream Man" is also one of my LH favorites. "Open Season" is a more lighthearted and funny RS read.

Ally72 MelissaB wrote: "Ally wrote: "Shawna wrote: "I highly recommend "Cry No More", Dhes. It's an amazing, poignant romantic suspense with a strong heroine and dangerous, to die for hero. Be sure to have some tissues ha..."

Thanks Melissa...I am going to have to be in the right state of mind to read that one.

message 19: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "You know, I think I have Dream Man and After the Night. 2 books in 1, maybe? I'll have to check."

Yes, they were a combo at one point! Both are good reads. After the Night has intense chemistry between the leads and a sultry Louisiana setting. Dream Man is a favorite because the heroine is strong, she does what she needs to do to help people even at her own emotional expense (she is a psychic)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick OOOooh, Open Season should be soon then.

Shawna MelissaB wrote: "The ending isn't sad, it's good - but the storyline involves a stolen baby which is just heartbreaking. Great story, just hard for me sometimes. The heroine is incredibly strong emotionally though, she deals amazingly with every mother's nightmare. "

Very well said, Melissa. The heroine's strength and courage absolutely floored me.

Ally, You know you're always welcome to join in!

And I ditto your "After the Night" rec. :)

message 22: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Son of the Morning - good story but not enough romance

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Thanks, girls!!

message 24: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Thanks, girls!!

And Melissa, it's so good to see you! I've missed you and I've been wondering how you're doing. *hugs*"

I am good! Feeling more normal now, so that helps. Work has been crazy which cuts down on my fun online time too.

Ally72 Hugs to all of you girls!

Shawna Hugs all around! :)

Shawna Ally, I've had Son of the Morning on the TBR for a while but I'd forgotten what it was about. It sounds interesting.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Hugs to you too, Ally and Shawna. Can't you just feel the love in here tonight? *sigh*

message 29: by Ally72 (last edited Nov 01, 2011 07:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ally72 I know Karen Marie Moning listed it as one of her favorite books a few months ago when she was featured as Barnes and Noble's romance author of the month. I guess that is why I bumped it up on my TBR list. I am kind of bummed that it doesn't have as much romance in it.

message 30: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB It has romance in the last third or so.

Ally72 Hmm...I am not sure that is enough for me...LOL! Thanks Melissa!

Shawna Definitely feeling the love, ladies! :)

I don't think I'd be satisfied with so little romance either. But maybe someday I'll give it a try. I still have a lot of Linda Howard books on the TBR.

message 33: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Ally wrote: "Hmm...I am not sure that is enough for me...LOL! Thanks Melissa!"

Some people love the book though.

Ally72 I know I will read it at some point...It might just not be for awhile. I have read some wonderful reviews of it over the years.

message 35: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Nice review Shawna!

I love Linda Howard too but no way am I reading this one.

Auntee Thanks for reminding me Shawna why this was one of my least favorite LH books. Good review!

Shawna Thanks Scully & Auntee! I'm a LH fan, but this just didn't work for me. Bad Lifetime movie alert! LOL!

Shawna The funny thing is that Gray in After the Night was an asshat at times, too, but he was still hot. And the heroine (Faith, right?) wasn't such a wimpy doormat.

message 39: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (last edited Nov 03, 2011 07:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I totally agree with your review. I think that it made Rome seem even worse that Sarah couldn't stand up to him and tell him to 'f' off. She didn't get pregnant by herself. If he didn't want kids, he could have gone and gotten snipped. I can't stand men who don't want to live up their responsibilities, and that would have ended things for me right then and there. But no, he acted like it was all her fault and she just accepted it. I would have told him to get to stepping and left his butt.

Shawna "To the left
Mmmm to the left
Everything you own in the box to the left"

LOL!!!!

message 42: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB There was one particular scene that I really hate Rome for - where a very pregnant Sarah was struggling to get out of a chair and he not only doesn't help her, he thinks about how much he helped and pampered his deceased wife when she was preggo. It made me so angry I wanted to chop off his balls, what a pathetic excuse for a man. Sarah was bad too for just taking his crumbs.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Yes, he constantly seemed to reinforce this message that she was second best to his dead wife. I don't know how any woman would put up with that.

message 44: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Yes, he constantly seemed to reinforce this message that she was second best to his dead wife. I don't know how any woman would put up with that."

Yes, she was second best and that really bothered me.

Can you tell I have Rome issues?

Shawna MelissaB wrote: "It made me so angry I wanted to chop off his balls, what a pathetic excuse for a man."

"Can you tell I have Rome issues?"

LMAO!

I think Sarah angered me even more 'cause she settled for his scraps.

message 47: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Hey Danielle, I just read a good Harly you might like:

Wanted by Her Lost Love (Pregnancy & Passion, #2) by Maya Banks

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I just saw your review, Melissa. I get the Desires in the mail and my sister commandeered it. But since we live together, I can get it back to read when I get a chance. It sounds good.

Shawna, I am at the age where I don't have tolerance for people demeaning me or others. I wouldn't stand for that from a guy. I could see if Sarah was younger, but she's in her 30s, isn't she? It's strange she was tolerating that from Rome.

Speaking of, I prefer Bluebird Winter, which is about Derek all grown-up. I have a copy if you want to borrow it.

Shawna Melissa, That's so funny 'cause Danielle and I were saying that Maya Banks HQ book sounded good just last night when we were at B&N.

Danielle, I definitely want to borrow "Bluebird Winter" from you 'cause Derek was such a sweetheart teen, and I was hoping he got a nice HEA.

« previous 1