Jodi's Reviews > Letters

May 12, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: lds
Read from January 23 to 30, 2011

I'm impressed that so many family members kept letters and postcards from Sis. Hinckley! It's amazing to think that letters were written so frequently and regularly now that we have instant email. This was an interesting book, but not nearly as good as "Glimpses" was. I enjoyed reading most of these letters and seeing what a positive attitude Sis. Hinckley had, but by half-way or two-thirds through the book, it started feeling a little more redundant. It was fun to get a better idea of what life was like married to Pres. Hinckley as a general authority and apostle.

I was also impressed by her letters because when she wrote them she obviously had no idea they would be published for so many people to read! So it was neat to see how honest her letters were--the reader gets an honest and true sense of Sis. Hinckley's character. It was fun to read about things like having dinner with Jimmy Stewart in 1980 when he came to film Mr. Krueger's Christmas. I laughed out loud at her description of the groundbreaking for the Tanner building at BYU. It was interesting to see more into the life of Sis. Hinckley, and this book left me wondering if I should have been saving more letters from people or writing better letters to others!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letters.

06/20 marked as: lds