L's Reviews > Every Last Cuckoo

Every Last Cuckoo by Kate Maloy

Jul 21, 09

bookshelves: abandoned

You know, there were reasons women fought to expand their worlds beyond home and family. If you every need a refresher on the issue, pick up this book. It is a celebration of that small world and so filled with details of the minutia of home and family it made my teeth hurt! It isn't that Maloy doesn't write beautifully; she does. It isn't that her characters aren't fully drawn and probably interesting people; they are. But . . .

We know from the back cover that Sarah will be widowed in her mid-seventies and her vision of spending the rest of her life at Charles' side is dashed. She finds new life when "a variety of wayward souls come seeking shelter in her big, empty house." This premise it was drew me to the book.

But for heaven's sake, it took half the book until Charles bit it! I still tried to keep going. But when I read a two paragraph description of Sarah's son's girlfriend's 4-year old daughter's drawing of a tree, I knew I couldn't take any more.

If you want to join the celebration of minutia, this is your book. It is beautifully written and surely the details of women's lives warrant attention. However, if you suspect that women have lives and thoughts that go beyond the boundaries of this circumscribed space (physical, emotional, and intellectual), and prefer to read about those lives and thoughts, skip this one.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Last Cuckoo.

Peggy Eckhold Every woman chooses her own path. Don't belittle those whose lives are not what you would choose.