Michael's Reviews > The Black Company

The Black Company by Glen Cook

M 50x66
Jul 21, 09

Read in July, 2009

The books follow a mercenary company in a rough and gritty fantasy world. This particular series is from the point of view of Croaker, the company chronicler and medic. I've really thoroughly enjoyed it, despite being somewhat tired of the dark & gritty genre.

It has a very militaristic, down in the trenches perspective. It has a certain sense of realism to it without lingering on or glorifying the atrocities of war, though do not go unchronicled. In fact, its often his own men who do the bad things, yet it is acknowledge (and I am paraphrasing here), "they are my brothers, and for that I would not feel right lingering on the barbaric acts that come from them."

The writing style does throw me occasionally. In one paragraph there are 3 people in a room and in the next several others join in the conversation. They could be in a town in one section, only to have the very next paragraph place them 10 miles away, on the road. It's as if the writer doesn't acknowledge the passage of time or bother with the little details of "and then so and so came in the room." Sometimes it works, sometimes its a bit puzzling.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Company.