Angela's Reviews > Fallen

Fallen by Lauren Kate

Nov 19, 09

bookshelves: 2009, pub-randh, love-or-romance, unfinished-series, urban-fantasy, angels
Read in November, 2009

This is more like 2.5 or 2.75 stars. When I think about my reaction if someone were to ask me what I thought of this book, I'd more likely say, "It's ok" or "It was interesting" rather than "I liked it".
T
here is a balance between leaving enough mystery in the characters or the story to keep the reader interested versus giving everything away so that you see the story unfolding before the writer has taken you to those important points of the plot.

This story was too mysterious for most of the book only to have too much revelation of the characters, their past/present, and hopes for the future outcome of the conflict in the last 75 pages or so and then an ending the completely had me baffled again.

FALLEN is the first book in a series with the next book TORMENT coming out in September 2010. I am hopeful that all of the setup in this book will allow the author to really dig into the story from the first page of the next book. I am interested enough to see whether this happens that I will probably pick up the 2nd book when it's out next year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fallen.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki LOVE the cover on this one. I'm curious to see what you think of the book. :D

Angela The cover is pretty, huh? I'm about 150 pages from the end. It's interesting and I'm intrigued what who exactly all the characters are, but I'm not wanting to gush over it ... yet. :)

message 3: by Nikki (new)

Nikki In my world, covers should equal content. I hate it when a book has an awesome cover that makes me want to read it but the inside isn't nearly as cool, or when an awesome book has a cover so awful I'm ashamed to show it to anybody. So here's hoping this book pans out! :D

Angela Good covers are ideal for me, but don't make or break the book experience.

message 5: by Nikki (new)

Nikki True, it doesn't usually break it for me, but it does affect it. I think that visual rhetoric is all part of the package! I talked about it a little in my blog post today, about how Lips Touch was an even better experience because the design of the book is as gorgeous as the writing. Maybe it's because I teach visual rhetoric as part of my writing course. I do believe it matters. :)

Angela A good cover enhances the story. A bad cover is just there, or is sometimes a source of irritation or embarrassment.

message 7: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Agreed! :)