Jeri's Reviews > Dark Tort

Dark Tort by Diane Mott Davidson

Feb 15, 09

Recommended for: cooks looking for a light read
Read in February, 2009

** spoiler alert ** At this point, Goldy should be a veteran sleuth. So it comes as a surprise when she's even more clueless than ever in the 13th book in the series.

I have always really enjoyed Goldy's recipes and I was disappointed that there weren't as many of them in this book. The descriptions of the food are always nice though. Davidson has always had a better style with food than she does with characters (Marla was wearing orange sequined jeans? I didn't know Denver and its suburbs were stuck in 1988.)

Davidson's writing has always been pretty weak. It seems like she's consulting her Thesaurus a bit too much as she throws in random smart-sounding synonyms that are totally out of place (she'll say "I felt allergic to..." instead of "I don't like..."). But the plot has always seemed to move along and I liked the construction of the story. In this book though, she's really losing her touch. The "investigation" is random and haphazard. Some of the clues are so obvious that you want to reach through the pages and slap Goldy (it took you a week to draw the connection to New Mr. O? Come ON!) And other plot points are so poorly explained that you can't figure out where the story is going at all.

I hear the 14th book is out already and I'm wondering if I can stomach another helping of sweet, clueless, obnoxious Goldy.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Tort.

Heidi In an earlier book she has someone wearing a sweatsuit with sequins AND feathers!!! I actually had to stop and look back to see what year it was printed. Your review is dead-on. This is only the third I've read in the series and I'm already bored with it and don't plan to continue. I love light, brainless mysteries but this series pushes it too far!

Jeanette Lol the person that your talking about wearing sequins and feathers was yet again Marla.