Frank Jude's Reviews > The Quantum and the Lotus: A Journey to the Frontiers Where Science and Buddhism Meet

The Quantum and the Lotus by Matthieu Ricard

Jul 20, 2009

bookshelves: buddhism, general-science, philosophy-spirituality, science-physics
Recommended for: Students of Buddhism and science.
Read in July, 2009

Of all the books I've read about Buddhism and science (most especially Physics) this may be the most useful and accessible. I was delighted to sit in on the conversation between this monk and physicist to see both their differences and the profound similarities in their understanding of reality.

Ricard is a penetrative thinker and he can strongly present the Buddhist view. At times I felt like Thuan, while certainly extremely competent as a physicist, may not be up to Ricard's philosophically astute standard.

When all is said and done, I find Ricard's arguments most convincing, but still remain far from convinced that consciousness cannot be grounded completely in the brain. This makes me a naturalist; not necessarily the typical materialist he would argue against. The notion that consciousness co-arises with matter is impressive, but that it can exist in a dis-embodied state goes further than the evidence allows -- in my opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Quantum and the Lotus.

03/29/2016 marked as: read