Lisa Lewis's Reviews > How to Read Literature Like a Professor: A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Reading Between the Lines

How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster

Jul 25, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction, adult
Read in July, 2009

How to read Literature like a Professor is the best non-fiction book I’ve read this summer. Okay, I confess, it’s also the only non-fiction book I’ve read this summer. Now that you’re smiling...let me say to you, “Go out and buy this book if you’re a teacher of English, or you just want to read between the lines while reading for pleasure.”
Within this book, Thomas C. Foster makes reading non-fiction totally enjoyable. His use of humor and “voice” made me feel as though I was almost in one of his classes at the University of Michigan (Flint). How to read Literature like a Professor covers how writers of fiction employ memory, symbols, and pattern within their tales. Foster also lets the reader know that it will take practice, practice, practice to become expert at “reading between the lines” of literature.
While reading this book, I found myself thinking that I would never read fiction the same way again, and I won’t. I will forever try to think of previous stories from which an author might have taken a piece (which is memory), looking more for the symbolic items, and looking for pattern.
This is an wonderful read for learning how to get more meaning from literature. I wish I could take one of Foster’s classes. I also look forward to reading his How to read Novels like a Professor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Read Literature Like a Professor.