Kenny's Reviews > Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

U 50x66
Jul 20, 2009

Read in July, 2009

[Note: I won this book in a giveaway contest on Goodreads.]

I am embarrassed to admit that I really liked Emily Giffin's Something Borrowed. I want to give this book three stars (or less) because it's chick lit, but the facts (as Rachel would say) are: (1) I'm a slow reader and got through this book in two days; (2) I went to sleep at 4 am both nights because I couldn't put the book down; and (3) I passed on hanging out with friends twice during that time frame to find out what would come of Rachel and Dex's relationship.

Ms Giffin draws you in by providing access to an exclusive subculture, namely that of white, upper class, New York professionals who traffic in Manhattan's finest restaurants, boutiques, and clubs. Whether you aspire to be a part of the social elite or find everything that its constituents represent to be utterly detestable, it's hard not to be intrigued.

The author then elaborates on the everyday lives of her characters (in particular their insecurities), which keeps readers interested by enabling them to relate to these people who, in all likelihood, are superficially different from them. In the midst of all this character development, the plot manages to move at a comfortable pace and keeps you guessing. Maybe these are the same reasons that a show like Gossip Girl has a considerable and devoted following.

I'm certainly not an expert on chick lit, so I can't really say how this compares to other books of a similar ilk. But if you're willing to suspend disbelief and moral judgment (and maybe even if you aren't), this is a fun read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Borrowed.