K's Reviews > Girl With a Pearl Earring

Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

F_50x66
Sep 19, 07

bookshelves: historicalfiction, marysues, chicklit

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl With a Pearl Earring.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by M (new) - rated it 2 stars

M BLECH. Somewhat cute concept of working backwards, but this book read like a paint by number as a result. characters were total pawns, the writing was stilted. what did you think?

message 2: by K (new) - rated it 2 stars

K I thought this book was extremely pretentious -- a glorified Harlequin with pretenses of literary historical fiction. Tres contrived -- paint by number is a good mashal. I had no interest in reading her other books, nor "Girl in Hyacinth Blue" by Susan Vreeland which I assume is the same genre, although I could be wrong.

message 3: by M (new) - rated it 2 stars

M Yah GHB was the same shpiel. All concept, no content. Yay, now we know the vase in the picture had a crack in it. Um, can we know something about the characters?? It's a risky genre for that reason. GHB was even worse, if I recall, because it trraced a painting so it was all choppy. I hate that.
BTW, good news! I applied for an advanced workshop back in July and got in! It starts the Thursday after Succos and is supposed to be really intense (as per application requirements- I had to submit a ten page writing sample etc) - can't wait to report!

message 4: by K (new) - rated it 2 stars

K Yes -- do keep us posted! What kind of workshop -- writing, or teaching English? Any specific angle or genre? I would love an opportunity like that (to fill my spare time, of course...;)).

message 5: by M (new) - rated it 2 stars

M it;s fiction writing - workshopping. i submitted that novel in progress i sent you a while back and will be using it in the class to see if i can get it off the ground. i am so so so excited - i was shocked that i got in at all ... might be too intimidating but at least i will get feedback and have an excuse to write ... as for more specs, ill have to wait til i get there, i was so sure i wouldnt get in that i knew nothing about it when i applied. good thing it isnt on shabbos.