Kate's Reviews > When You Are Engulfed in Flames

1914270
Jul 31, 09

bookshelves: book-club, memoir, signed-by-author
Read in July, 2009

This isn't the best of David Sedaris, but it also isn't his worst by a long shot.

I enjoyed how he takes the mundane every day details and spins them in a humorous, relatable way. Being a self proclaimed writer myself, I understand how hard of a thing this is to do and Sedaris seems to have mastered this, in his newest collection.

Also, his one liners, such as:

"The only expensive thing I actually wear is a navy cashmere sweater. It cost four hundred dollars and looks like it was wrestled from the mouth of a tiger."

really made me laugh to the point of shooting liquids from my nostrils, which is a painful thing to do, by the way.

The pieces in the collection that really captivated and held my interest are:

1. Buddy, Can You Spare A Tie (see the section entitled 'With A Pal Like This Who Needs Enemies')

2. In The Waiting Room

3. Momento Mori

4. Aerial
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Are Engulfed in Flames.

07/21/2009 page 50
15.48% "The only expensive thing I actually wear is a navy blue cashmere sweater. It cost $400 and looks like it was wrestled from a tiger's mouth."
07/22/2009 page 93
28.79% "You're going to study literature and get a job doing what? Literaturizing?"
07/27/2009 page 188
58.2% "Shit is the tofu of cursing and can be molded to whichever condition the speaker desires."
07/28/2009 page 217
67.18% "Fire up the kettle. Ol'-fashioned skull boil at 5pm."
07/29/2009 page 272
84.21% "People in the UK genuinely say 'fags' but in America it's just emabarrassing and self-consciously naughty, like calling a cat a pussy."
07/29/2009 page 292
90.4% "Nicotine patches don't satisfy the urge to stick something in your mouth and set it on fire, but they are oddly calming."
07/30/2009 page 308
95.36% "How different life looks when people behave themselves."
show 1 hidden update…