Greg Perciak's Reviews > Stone's Fall

Stone's Fall by Iain Pears

M 50x66
Jun 11, 2010

Stone's Fall by Iain Pears

Mr. Stone, a wealthy entrepreneur, has fallen to his death from a window in his study. Did he jump, was he pushed, or was it an accident? This long novel, told in 3 parts, by 3 different narrators, traveling backwards in time in different settings, answers that question.

The first part is set in London, 1909 when journalist Matthew Braddock is hired by Stone's widow to find the illegitimate child mentioned in Stone's will. Braddock's socialist sympathies punctuate his narrative of Stone's business dealings in the wake of the industrial revolution.

Part II is set in Paris 1890, narrated by a British spy who knew Stone's widow before she knew Stone.

Part III is set in Venice 1877 and is narrated by Stone himself.

I finished this novel months ago. I was at a down time in my reading, when I'd cover only a few pages every night before turning out the light, so it seemed to take forever. In addition, the novel's tone is very British, very staid. Each part is self-contained, yet interconnected, though the author does not manipulate the story to lay bare the connections. I still can't get this novel out of my head. When I got to the surprise ending, I wished I had devoted more time to reading it in fewer sittings. So I won't be weeding it from my shelves anytime soon - I intend to read it again and perhaps I'll re-visit this review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stone's Fall.