Epeeblade's Reviews > The Stars Blue Yonder

U_50x66
Jul 20, 09

bookshelves: read_in_2009, arc
Read in July, 2009

(cross posted from my blog, I received this title as an ARC)

One of the best things I can say about a book is that I couldn't put it down, that I had to keep on reading to find out what happens next. That certainly applies to The Stars Blue Yonder, the third book in this Aussie Space Opera series by Sandra McDonald. From the moment we meet Terry Myell again, the action doesn't stop.

Especially since Myell supposedly died in book two, leaving his pregnant wife, Jodenny Scott, stranded on another planet, away from familiar star systems. Myell apparently has a problem with time travel, or rather, time travel has a problem with him. Terry, much like Sam in Quatum Leap, can't control where he ends up, and spends less that a day in various time eddys, only for the people he visits not to remember him nor do his actions have any consequences on the time stream.

This book has so many fascinating threads and subplots. Why is Myell endlessly traveling through time? Will he manage to come back to the woman he loves, and not during a time eddy in which she is married to another man? Who are the mysterious gods that may or may not be directing Terry's path? What about the alien race threatening humanity?

Usually I hate books where the heroine is pregnant throughout (a certain title comes to mind specifically) but Jodenny comes off as honest, realistic and yet the strong military woman she is. (And she doesn't annoy me. That scores plenty of points in my book.)

I also hate book reviews that give away too much of the plot:) The only bit of criticism I have is that you simply must read the first two books in the series (The Outback Stars and The Stars Down Under) to really get the most out of this novel. McDonald has created a fascinating world, blending religion,folklore and good old fashioned action-adventure to create something truly unique. Her writing has grown even tighter with this product and I am looking forward to the next book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stars Blue Yonder.