booklady's Reviews > Love in the Ruins

Love in the Ruins by Walker Percy

Sep 07, 09

bookshelves: backburner
Recommended to booklady by: Robert Moynihan

Robert Moynihan, reporting from Rome, "Inside the Vatican Magazine" Newsflash, Letter from Rome, #22: 'I studied the works of Walker Percy, the American Catholic novelist, when I was in college, at Harvard. I went to meet Percy in 1977. His most important book is a collection of philosophical essays entitled The Message in the Bottle.

The entire goal of his writing was to show how the historical events of Christian history constituted a "message" which brought life to people who were in the position of "castaways" on a desert island, waiting for a message that could help them in their plight to wash up on the beach...

And he did not write didactically, as if to say, "this is the message, here is part one, here is part two, you must believe this point, and this point, and also this other point..."

Rather, he described men and women finding the message, right in the middle of their loneliness -- all of us are shipwrecked; that is why we should be kind to one another -- and in finding the message, finding true life.'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in the Ruins.

Quotes booklady Liked

Walker Percy
“Jews wait for the Lord, Protestants sing hymns to him, Catholics say mass and eat him.”
Walker Percy, Love in the Ruins