Pamela's Reviews > Drunkard: A Hard-Drinking Life

Drunkard by Neil Steinberg

Jul 22, 2009

it was ok
Read in July, 2009

This is a narrative stroll through a year of Neil Steinberg's life, a Chicago Suntimes Columnist, self proclaimed Drunkard who describes his court proscribed rehab and multiple relapses. Never a fan of his column, I can honestly say I like him less after reading his biography. He comes accross as an arrogant soul who has zero reflection on how his destructive behavior injurs those around him. I understand that when in the depths of addiction, it is challenging to see beyond your own self, but.... It's as though he wants to romantically take on the role of hard drinking journalist and describe his follies into sobriety and relapses without ever confronting the pain that lies underneath. It's a quick read, but very little of substance of depth. I am glad that I didn't purchase this book but borrowed it from a friend. I'd hate to think that the pain he put his family and friends through would lead to income from book sales. I fear that his lack of judgement and fear of consequences will impair his driving or worse in the future. Glad to know that he takes the train home to the Northern Suburbs and that I won't see him on the expressway after a working lunch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drunkard.