Younkin Pete's Reviews > Out Stealing Horses

M_50x66
Aug 12, 09

bookshelves: 2009-a-list
Read in August, 2009

This is a beautiful book that suffered, for me, from being read in the wrong places. I kept reading it on hot and crowded planes, trains, etc.. when it is a book suited for winter. Despite this, I found the spare writing to be beautiful, the voice authentic and original, and the story well structured.
The story moves along two time-lines, blurring the boundary between past and present as the protagonist tries to both forget and remember. But it is no more dramatic than you would expect a story about an elderly Norwegian man to be. There are no great reveals, no unanticipated turns, just actions and consequences. For me, in the end, the book was very much about this "David Copperfield" parallel: how the actions of another can guide our life. Not in a Salman Rushdie way, sweeping us up in the arms of a historical moment, but rather in smaller, more personal ways: altering the choices we make and the kind of people we become.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out Stealing Horses.