Callista 's Reviews > Sunshine

Jan 04, 14

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, vampires-after-all
Recommended to Callista by: Jamina Fritts
Read from July 01 to August 05, 2010

More like 3 ½ stars. This turned out to be a pleasant surprise, but I had some trouble getting into it at first. The narrative voice is very distinctive, very quirky. There are a lot of run-on sentences and asides/tangents; sometimes it’s quite stream-of-consciousness.
There is also quite a bit of sarcastic humour. The reader is very much inside Sunshine’s head. Despite being so immediate-feeling, I still had trouble sorting out what kind of person Sunshine really is, because she tends to keep her feelings at bay. I ended up realising I was trying to make her something she wasn’t, and the story really started to pull me in when Sunshine began to discover certain abilities she didn’t know she had.
Her interactions with Constantine (Con) are fascinating. I liked Con very much; he may be the most interesting and honourable vampire character I have ever read. And--surprise!--he is NOT breathtakingly gorgeous like those vampires in other books tend to be (absolutely NO sparkling!).
The last 100 pages or so of the book had me on the edge of my seat, but I rather wish the ending had been a little more decisive. I can’t help wondering if McKinley has a sequel in mind.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunshine.

07/12/2010 "This one is making me feel "mentally breathless", and not in a very good way."
08/02/2010 "Getting more interesting since the butter knife incident."
show 1 hidden update…