Miss_otis's Reviews > My Soul to Keep

My Soul to Keep by Tananarive Due

Jul 26, 09

bookshelves: fantasy-or-fantastical, horror-suspense

** spoiler alert ** This is not a vampire book. There are no vampires in this book, only people who have ingested blood and gone through a formal ceremony which makes them immortal. No. Vampires.

However - I wasn't looking for vampires, and didn't want them, so I was a-okay with this series. It's an interesting, original take on immortality, and well-done. I honestly think this book is the weakest in terms of characterization, but that could very well be because I managed to accidentally read the series backwards,and therefore it felt like a bit like character regression.

I did feel like Dawit overreacted to some situations - I mean, come on, he's 400+ years old and he hasn't learned how to lie convincingly/cover his tracks/find a solution to a problem that doesn't include murder? - but I quite liked the flashbacks, and the sense of disconnection he has from humans, while not being able to live solely among immortals for too long.

I'm not sure how I feel about Jessica in this volume; she's a fairly strong character here, and I like that she's the parent who's working too late all the time, but I feel she gets more interesting as the series progresses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Soul to Keep.