Nely's Reviews > The Dead-Tossed Waves

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

Mar 17, 10

bookshelves: own
Read from March 12 to 13, 2010

As a big fan of The Forest of Hands and Teeth, I was really looking forward to getting my hands on The Dead-Tossed Waves. And boy, was I happy to see that not only did Ms. Ryan live up to the awesomeness that was The Forest of Hands and Teeth, but she might have even surpassed it in this one.

This is zombie mayhem at its best - but don't take me wrong, although this is a zombie book, this is also so much more. For one, the characters are all vividly descriptive, three-dimensional and very likeable. Gabry was a wonderful protagonist - she's young, she's scared, she questions herself in almost everything she does... nothing like Mary (TFHT). Where Mary was brave, strong-willed (even to a fault), was in need of something more in life then the relatively safe life she lived in her village in the forest, Gabry was the total opposite. Gabry is quiet, reserved, shy, she thinks before she acts and she enjoys the safety found within the town of Vista with its barricaded walls and constant patrolling of the town. The Mudo (a/k/a the Unconsecrated) are something that is found outside those walls - something that she and her mother might deal with if it washes up in the shores surrounding their lighthouse after a storm, but not something that is a constant or direct danger to her. Yet after a couple of pages that quickly changes.

Within these pages you will read about life in a world where there is life after death... just not the type where you walk into the light. Where once you return you become a soulless being only driven by the scent of blood and the need to infect. But more importantly, this is a story of hope, of love, of loss, of dealing with the lemons life hands you. Ms. Ryan's writing is stellar. She definitely has a way with words. She captured me from the first chapter and spit me out in the end in a heap. Because yes, although many questions are answered throughout the story relating to TFHT, there are still so many left unanswered. And that final moment in the book left me with my mouth open and freaking out because I've searched everywhere and still can't find out if and when there will be another book... yes, there is a cliff-hanger.

All in all, I am once again in awe of the world created by Ms. Ryan. Her story is one that although grimly revolves around pain and death, it also holds you enthralled with its vivid descriptions, relateable characters, and action-packed journey, making it an exciting and enticing read. Although this is considered a companion book to The Forest of Hands and Teeth, I do recommend that you read that one first. Reading The Dead-Tossed Waves first is like eating dessert before your meal. With all that said, I truly cannot tell you how anxious I am to hear of the next in the series... and to be quite honest, I hope it picks up right where this one left off. I highly recommend this.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead-Tossed Waves.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer The cover of this book really creeps me out!

Nely Jennifer wrote: "The cover of this book really creeps me out!"

It really is creepy = but I absolutely loved the first book and have been looking forward to this one for months now. I'm so excited I finally started it.

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I didn't realize it was part of a series!

Nely Jennifer wrote: "I didn't realize it was part of a series!"

It's not so much of a sequel as it is a a companion to The Forest of Hands and Teeth. I also believe there will be a third one too. :D