Bethany's Reviews > If the Witness Lied

If the Witness Lied by Caroline B. Cooney

F 50x66
Jul 20, 09

Read in July, 2009

I am ambivalent about this book. I kind of hated it, but it was also--I couldn't stop reading. I wanted to know what would happen, what had happened, but there were some things I just couldn't reconcile. Cooney felt very preachy here, as in, this character should turn to God, these kids should be kids and call their grandparents, and most of all (really, this was an over-arching theme in the book) no one should ever watch tv. If you watch tv, you are the devil. Everyon that is involved in making television is the devil.

And then I had trouble with the main plot because--no one would blame a toddler for releasing a parking brake that killed his father, no one would demonize that baby. I mean, yes, other children might feel resentment or anger toward the toddler, but the news media/adults watchign the story from home would--they wouldn't make that jump. It would be, "This poor child, he'lll have to grow up without his father and eventually he'll have to deal with his own guilt re: his involvement therein." It would not be, "This is clearly Rosemary's baby." So...that pretty much dissolves the entire premise of the book, which is problematic.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If the Witness Lied.