Jill's Reviews > My Enemy's Cradle

Aug 03, 09

liked it
bookshelves: wwii
Recommended to Jill by: My mom
Recommended for: people interested in WWII-era Germany.
Read in August, 2009, read count: 1

I was NOT feeling this book for the first... third or so. It redeemed itself in the end though. This book was about the Lebensborn maternity homes in Germany during World War II. Basically, if a girl from Germany or any German-occupied country was impregnated by a German soldier, they could go to a Lebensborn home where they would be housed and fed until their baby was born. At that point, the Nazi party would adopt it out to a German family. The beginning of this book had very graphic sex scenes - which, I feel, took away from the book. Without them, the book would've been much better. It was legit though - the author did a LOT of research and I learned a lot about this subject. Her writing was also commendable, especially considering that this was her first book for adults!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Enemy's Cradle.

07/26/2009 page 70
19.18% "There is way too much awkward sexual things going on here. I feel like I'm kind of being cheated out of a potentially good story."
07/27/2009 page 127
34.79% "Still lots of awkward, graphic sex scenes in a book that certainly does NOT need them." 2 comments
07/31/2009 page 167
45.75% "Now that the sex part is over, the book is all right. I'm learning about Lebensborns, which I did not know existed."