Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Angel's Game

The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

Jul 19, 2009

bookshelves: 2010, gothic, fiction, favorites, mystery
Read in January, 2010

If you are wanting a light-hearted romantic book, this is not the one for you. If you are wanting a mystery that skims the surface of it's plot and characters, this is not the book for you. If you are looking for a book to endear Barcelona to your heart and make you believe that it's a city full of light and romance, then this is definitely not the story for you.

However, if you are wanting to be strung along, unable to escape the bait being laid out neatly and methodically in front of you, if you are wanting to feel goosebumps over and over again, if you enjoy reading a story that will have you glancing over your shoulder at every little noise... then this is the story for you.

This is the story of David Martin, a writer. In The Shadow of the Wind we are introduced to the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. Zafon brings back that magical place in this story while providing the back story of his first novel. If Shadow of the Wind is a book for readers then this is a book for writers. Throughout this story we are given clue after clue, answers provided at just the right moment - only to be snatched away as the story shifts to a new dimension completely undoing what we thought we knew. Over and over this continues until Zafon has you in the palm of his hand, begging to know how it will all end.

And the end is always satisfying. It's only the 2nd of January and I already know this book will be one of my favorites read for 2010. And now, with renewed interest and with the knowledge provided to me by Zafon, I will approach The Shadow of the Wind again to immerse myself in the story I knew I would love after reading the opening paragraph.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel's Game.

01/01/2010 page 112