Nicholas's Reviews > A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

M 50x66
Jul 20, 09

bookshelves: biography-memoir, comedy, history
Read in July, 2009

** spoiler alert ** The first half was hilarious. Then the author got all moody and the book sucked. He kind of reminds me of PJ O'Rourke.

Quotes:

"Loony hillbillies destabilized by gross quantities of impure corn liquor and generations of profoundly unbiblical sex."

"Are you saying Dave, that I paid $250 for a pack and it doesn't have straps and it isn't waterproof. He nodded. Does it have a bottom in it?"

"What on earth would I do if four bears came into my camp? Why, I would die, of course. Literally shit myself lifeless."

"I was beginning to appreciate that the central feature of life on the Appalachian Trail is deprivation, that the whole point of the experience is to remove yourself so thoroughly from the conveniences of everyday life that the most ordinary things - processed cheese, a can of pop gorgeously beaded with condensation - fill you with wonder and gratitude."

"So what made you buy a Gregory pack? he said. Well, I thought it would be easier than carrying everything in my arms."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Walk in the Woods.