DoctorM's Reviews > Serpent's Reach

Serpent's Reach by C.J. Cherryh

Sep 18, 2007

bookshelves: favourites

I read lots of sci-fi in my Lost Youth, but fell away from it once I went to university. I discovered Cherryh in grad school--- took "Serpent's Reach" home one random Friday night...and was enthralled. Here was sci-fi that was austere, cold, well-crafted, with characters that had depth and intelligence and plots that weren't (allowing for aliens and interstellar travel) just silly or trivial. Cherryh wrote about what happens to human societies interacting with the truly alien, about politics in an alien key.

"Serpent's Reach" is a key early Cherryh, and, to my mind, one of her very, very best. The aliens in the novel are probably the best insect-creatures in sci-fi, and their human trading partners/allies are ever so subtly other-than-human in their ways of thinking and plotting and playing at politics, wealth, and war. "Serpent's Reach" has been a favourite of mine for half my life now--- and one of the very few sci-fi novels I'd like to see filmed...and one with a captivating and darkly brilliant and remorseless heroine.

(Though...live action or anime for the film? Hard to say...)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Serpent's Reach.

07/07/2016 marked as: read