UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish's Reviews > Midnight Run

Midnight Run by Lisa Marie Rice

Another great read!

This is the second book in Lisa Marie Rice’s Midnight series and I enjoyed it as much as I did the first. A major reason for that is because the abrupt happily ever after ending I complained about in book one, Midnight Man, was followed up in this book and it was a pleasure to revisit John Huntington and Suzanne Barron.

Another thing I really enjoyed about this book was the way in which the storyline was written. It overlapped with the same plot in book one, so while in Midnight Man we saw everything from John and Suzanne’s points of view, with Bud and Claire as the secondary characters, in Midnight Run we see the same events from Bud and Claire’s points of view with John and Suzanne as the secondary couple. Now, that has the makings for disaster as far as storylines go, but Lisa Marie Rice pulled it off like a pro!

Claire Parks has finally moved out on her own, out from under her father’s overprotective thumb. No easy fete, that. Having been deathly ill for many, many years and living in hospitals and medical institutions she’s more than ready to have a normal life now that she’s been cured and nothing is going to stand in her way. As far as heroines go, I liked her, but didn’t love her. I felt for her, for the life she didn’t get to live, but still in all she just didn’t grab me, even though I accepted her as the perfect match for Bud.

Bud is a cop and an overbearing, caveman type cop at that – but guess what? That worked for me. Ms. Rice is one of the few authors who can take this type of Neanderthal-esque brute of a man and make him loveable. And aren’t I just glad for that!

Now, I do have to say (because it annoyed me) that the story was going along fabulously, totally into it, buying it all, and then Claire does something that I found ridiculous and not in keeping with her character. In short, I was miffed. But not enough to lower the rating!

I’m impressed with the way Ms. Rice is able to give us deeply complex characters and do it in a shorter page count. And while, as I said, I didn’t connect with Claire as fully as I would have liked to, that was due to personality conflicts between she and I and nothing to do with Ms. Rice’s writing.

There were a couple of scenes I really enjoyed, both involving Bud and his ... man part. I'd like to share them with you here -

WARNING - EXPLICIT LANGUAGE

Yeah, he'd seen it all. Twice. Last thing he needed was some innocent young miss who'd be stiff in bed and cling to him afterwards.

Nope, he was going to drive pretty little Miss Schuyler safely to her door, say goodnight like the gentleman he wasn't, go home, get some shut eye then take off for his weekend of hot sex. Yup, that's what he'd do.

His cock wasn't listening to a word his head was saying.

His cock didn't give a shit about home or sleep. It didn't want Nancy Whosis, it wanted
her, the Princess, and it wasn't taking no for an answer.

And then this: He's getting ready to walk her to her door after he's made up his mind that he wasn't going to have sex with her -

"Would you like to come in for some coffee?" She asked in a rush, the words tumbling over themselves. Wouldyouliketocomeinforsomecoffee? As if she'd been rehearsing it.

She'd turned to him fully, but wasn't meeting his eyes, asking his chin if he wanted to come in for coffee. Her breathing was slightly speeded up and the hand holding her cloak together was trembling. She was asking him in for more than coffee. She might not even be aware of it herself, but she was.

Coffee was a synonym for sex.

Absolutely not.

No sex, no. Not with her.

She was trouble with a capital T which rhymed with C which stood for Claire.

It wouldn't be happily vigorous sex for a couple hours, then a handshake and goodbye, which was all he was looking for, all he wanted from a woman. He liked sex that was hard and long and uncomplicated. He didn't want sex with her. She had complication written all over that gorgeous face of hers. No sex with Claire Schuyler. No, no, no.

His head was clear on that and he opened his mouth to say no, but his cock got there first.

"Yeah, love to."

That's the kind of writing that makes me laugh. I just love it when a man's man part has more of a say in his relationships than the actual man does.

I'm looking forward to reading more by this author!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Run.

09/30/2010 page 100
44.0% "This book has some of the best internal dialog between a man and his... ummm... man-parts I've ever read. Not sure which one is more alpha." 62 comments
09/30/2010 page 210
92.0% "Ummm. I'm not so sure about this..." 5 comments
10/13/2013 marked as: own-have-read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Oct 07, 2010 09:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish It was just such a dumb thing to do... and out of character, ya know? I was like.. WTH?? Anyway...

I just edited the review to add something I had left out. You might want to take another peek.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish What have you read by her, Zosia? And thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the review :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Oh, I had totally forgotten they were the same person!!!! I haven't read Jennings yet, but I have a book here that a friend loaned me. Now I'm really looking forward to reading it.

And yeah, Bud was totally about the sex only thing. No commitments, no ties, just sex. That worked for him!

message 4: by AH (new)

AH Great review! And such an interesting scene - coffee = sex.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, AH! Yep, he knew that being invited in for coffee was being invited in for sex, and he wanted no part of that... in theory anyway ;)

MelissaB Great review UM - this book is good but what she did annoyed me. All she needed to do was talk to him about her issues instead of .....

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you, Melissa! And regarding Claire - exactly... and it just didn't seem to fit, either.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Great review... and entertaining! Love the comment on your personality conflict with Clair! Haha! That made me laugh out loud!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you, Cheryl! Maybe I connected with Claire a little more heavily than I thought? LOL! The same thing happened with the next book, too, though, I've decided that 'personality conflict' is the only way to describe some heroines and their actions and how I react to them.

I'm glad you laughed, because I was kind of laughing at myself when I wrote that!

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl I thought it was a clever way of saying you disagreed with how the heroin handled herself! Too funny! :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish You're like me, Cheryl. We get connected to some of the characters and start thinking of them as people. So I've found myself imagining how I'd explain a situation if it were my neighbor or my friends. I'd just chalk it up to those personality conflicts :)

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "You're like me, Cheryl. We get connected to some of the characters and start thinking of them as people. So I've found myself imagining how I'd explain a situation if it were my neighbor or my frie..."

This is why I love being your friend, you're so reasonable. :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Cheryl wrote: "
This is why I love being your friend, you're so reasonable. :) "

The feeling is mutual, you little tart, you!

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl :) *hugs*

Auntee Great review, UM, and you made me laugh!:)

message 16: by Shawna (new) - added it

Shawna Great review, UM! I still need to read LMR's Midnight series.

message 17: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Oct 08, 2010 03:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Auntee and Shawna. I really enjoyed these books!

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Great review, UM! Your scene previews have intrigued me, but I'm skittish. You know what a freak I am about contemporaries!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thanks, Catherine! And LOL at the "freak" comment. I don't see you that way at all, but I will admit we don't quite have the same tastes in contemporaries that we do in historicals. And I love you, anyway :)

message 20: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Awwwwww. Group hug! :P

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Aw, everyone is getting so sentimental on your review, Dhes! This is touching. Really.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Cheryl wrote: "This is touching. Really."

message 23: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "This is touching. Really."

I don't know why, but that made me laugh. Something tells me you're being slightly sarcastic! LOL"

Me? Sarcastic? I don't see it. Hm...

Camille-Dhark Nytmhare Nice review Unique! Sounds like Ms Rice is a really creative writer. My absolute favs. I will definitely have to check out this series. Can Midnight Run stand alone when reading, or do I need to start with the first book.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you, Camilla. :) Because the story in Midnight Run is a retelling of what happened in Midnight Man, just from a different POV, I think you could read it on its own and not be lost. You'd just have to go into it being ok with only a recap of the characters, John and Suzanne, from Midnight Man.

Hope that helps!