Katherine's Reviews > How We are Hungry

How We are Hungry by Dave Eggers

Aug 06, 09

Read in July, 2009

I am writing this review a bit delayed, so my reactions aren't quite as fresh as normal. I should start by saying that I generally love Dave Eggers. I thought "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" was amazing, and I was thoroughly impressed by "What Is The What." But I've also found some of his work a little much, a little off-putting - mainly "We Shall Know Our Own Velocity." The reading of this collection of short stories was brought on by seeing "Away We Go," which Dave Eggers co-wrote with Vendela Vida, and which was terrific (it belongs in the very small genre of really outstanding movies/books about people whose parents have died when they are young, a category I have particular interest in and affection for). The collection is definitely worthwhile. Some of the stories erred on the "We Shall Know Our Own Velocity" side of the spectrum, but many of them were captivating and all had the special sparkle of Eggers' writing, a kind of quick turn with language and wit. In particular, I liked the final story about a tourist climbing a mountain and the short, one page pieces sprinkled throughout the book. Definitely worth a read if you're an Eggers fan; if you're just starting with his work, pick up one of the novels first.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How We are Hungry.