Leann Miller's Reviews > Driftwood Summer

Feb 08, 2016

bookshelves: signed-book, review-written, read-2009
Recommended for: Women that love Sothern Lit
Read in October, 2009 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I really loved reading Driftwood Summer. The bookstore, The Driftwood Cottage, was the setting for the book. The Driftwood Cottage is located in small coastal town about an hour outside of Savannah, GA. I love books that are written about the low country for this is where I grew up. Patti Callahan Henry always delivers wonderful stories about the low country and Driftwood Summer is no exception.

The characters in the book are described so well that you feel you could be friends with them or even feel your life is similar to theirs. I definitely could relate to Riley, Maisy, and Adelee. Riley was the co-owner with her mother of the Driftwood Cottage. She was a single mother that had to put her life dreams on hold to raise her son Brayden and felt this is what her life was all about. She believed she would never find true love, so she tried to create a life where adventure was a thing of the past. Maisey had made mistakes throughout life and instead of realizing that she created the situations that made her life what it was today she blamed everyone around her for the shamble her life had become. And Adelee, was your typical young 20 something that went to college and didn't really know herself and didn't know what she wanted out of life. Now their mother is calling them home to help save the Driftwood Cottage and try and mend the sisters' relationships. Riley learned that she could not control everything in life. Maisey learned that she was the one who created the situations in her life and she was also the only one that could break the cycle. Adelee realized that she had lots of talent and that she had purpose in life. And as these three sisters learned these things about themselves they also learned how to love and appreciate each other more. Driftwood Summer was a wonderful book about family wounds and understanding them, and how forgiveness and love can overcome anything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Driftwood Summer.

07/19 page 10