Maggie Stiefvater's Reviews > How to Say Goodbye in Robot

How to Say Goodbye in Robot by Natalie Standiford

Jul 19, 09

bookshelves: young-adult, recommended
Read in July, 2009

The best favor I can do to everyone considering reading this book is to tell them that it's not a YA romance. Once you get that out of the way, you can enjoy this book for what it is: a quirky, intelligent YA novel about two lost teens finding their way back to normalcy -- or not.

While the two main characters -- nicknamed "Ghost Boy" and "Robot Girl" -- in this book are earnestly 3D, the real star of this novel is the late night radio program that both of them listen to. The quirky and sincere and bizarre and fascinating callers enchant both the narrator and the reader, and ultimately, this book ended up on my five star list because the show and the ending remained in my head for longer than it took me to read the book.

I think this one also goes on my top five YAs that ought to be movies list -- I can see it perfectly in my head.

***wondering why all my reviews are five stars? Because I'm only reviewing my favorite books -- not every book I read. Consider a novel's presence on my Goodreads bookshelf as a hearty endorsement. I can't believe I just said "hearty." It sounds like a stew.***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Say Goodbye in Robot.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Steph Su You've convinced me to think about reading this. I have to admit that the cover and title made it seem like something I would not be interested in. Therefore... thank you!

Maggie Stiefvater Stephanie wrote: "You've convinced me to think about reading this. I have to admit that the cover and title made it seem like something I would not be interested in. Therefore... thank you!"

*smiles subversively* I wouldn'tve picked it up either, unless my editor had put it into my hands.

message 3: by I'amber (last edited Jul 20, 2009 06:31AM) (new) - added it

I'amber I wouldn't have even given this a second thought about reading if not for this review, I think I'mma go pick it up next friday when I make my way to barns and noble! I just hope it doesn't have a sad ending >;D, and well yeah :DD

Maggie Stiefvater I'amber. wrote: "I wouldn't have even given this a second thought about reading if not for this review, I think I'mma go pick it up next friday when I make my way to barns and noble! I just hope it doesn't have a s..."

It comes out in October, but you could pre-order! Not saying anything about the ending!

message 5: by I'amber (new) - added it

I'amber Darn.
And I shall [:
Thanks!

message 6: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Love this review. And the stew joke.

Posie This book is amazing!! Have you read her latest book called Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters? It's really good too. I had the pleasure of meeting Natalie at one of her book signings--she's so nice! Great review!

Maggie Stiefvater Posie wrote: "This book is amazing!! Have you read her latest book called Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters? It's really good too. I had the pleasure of meeting Natalie at one of her book signings--she's so ni..."

Just got the ARC, Posie! I'm so glad to hear it's good too.

message 9: by Jp (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jp I realllly loved this one. Thanks for recommending. Natalie's way with characters is pretty astounding.