Elizabeth K.'s Reviews > White Sands, Red Menace

Oct 07, 09

bookshelves: 2009-new-reads
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Susann
Read in October, 2009

Very satisfying sequel to Green Glass Sea, Suze and Dewey are now teenagers starting high school in Alamogordo after the war while Suze's father is working on Werner von Braun's rockets. If possible, I liked the girls even better than in Green Glass Sea. It's a great demonstration of characters aging well. They're still recognizable as the same kids from the first book, but have changed and grown in realistic and believable ways.

The downside - one of the things I loved the most about Green Glass Sea is how neutrally issues were presented, at least on the surface. As a reader, you really get all the tools to draw your own conclusions about the development of the atomic bomb. White Sands, Red Menace is a little more blatant about which side is right. Dr. Gordon's anti-nuke campaign is obviously passionate and caring; whenever her husband Dr. Gordon gets some air time for the opposing view, he sounds like a ninny. Okay, now it sounds like I am complaining about not loving The Bomb enough. Even though I agree with Terry, it comes across as too preachy for me.

Grade B+
Recommended: Definitely to anyone who enjoyed Green Glass Sea. And these should be read in order. They should get some sort of prize for Best Use Of Historical Settings for Telling a Story - Los Alamos for the first, and Alamogordo for this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Sands, Red Menace.