Bernie's Reviews > The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design

The Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins

1221976
Apr 19, 14

Read in July, 2009, read count: 1

Just finished. I'd already read "The Selfish Gene," so this covered some similar ground but in more depth. As an intelligent nonscientist, I found it a good introduction to a modern understanding of evolution, mostly accessible, though a bit dense in a few sections.

As a refutation of Creationism or "Intelligent Design", the book is pretty much overkill, since "Intelligent Design" is an inherently absurd argument that negates with its assumed premise the very thing it sets out to prove (that anything complex, such as the human eye, must have been master-designed by some entity [which, of course, must be wondrously complex itself in order to effect such a master design:]). Dawkins sums it up thus:

"If we want to postulate a deity capable of engineering all the organized complexity in the world, either instantaneously or by guiding evolution, that deity must already have been vastly complex in the first place. The creationist, whether a naive Bible-thumper or an educated bishop, simply postulates an already existing being of prodigious intelligence and complexity. If we are going to allow ourselves the luxury of postulating organized complexity without offering an explanation, we might as well make a job of it and simply postulate the existence of life as we know it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blind Watchmaker.